Friday, January 25, 2008

My attempt at cross-country skiing.

Last Sunday, TH and I decided to try out cross-country skiing and skating at a nearby ski resort. It was a gorgeous day so every resident of the Haute-Savoie and their dog was there as well. Downhill skiing isn't as attractive to me as it once was. Why? Because some punk kid on a snowboard is bound to crash into you. Yes, that's all I think about when I'm try to get myself down a run. It's a neuroticism that I don't think I'll be able to get rid of. Cross-country skiing looked appealing because you're mainly on flat terrain. But, I didn't know that the skis were so slippery. Going uphill was no problem. I actually didn't mind climbing the hills. It was going downhill that was the problem. I had no idea what I was doing. And I had no idea how to slow myself down or get control or be able to stay on my skis. Is it possible to snowplow in cross-country skis and not lose so much control that you end up going down the hill on your tush? I think I was doing something wrong. Il faut apprendre ski de fond. Sylvie, let's make a date.

6 comments:

Penny said...

Well, you've got to start somewhere eh? I hope Sylvie can give you some pointers :)

Anonymous said...

And how about going tomorrow morning ? Let's talk about it this afternoon !

Leah said...

Ugh, I totally agree downhill skiing does not appeal to me AT ALL. In fact, it scares me quite a bit. But, I loooove cross country. One time, I went skiing at the Von Trapp Lodge in Vermon-it was so pretty! Except, it definitely had wayyy too many hills. Yeah, not a fan of going downhill because I don't know what I'm doing either! One time, an entire family(I'm not exaggerating here!) had to move out of the way because I was coming through and there was not stopping unless I wanted to entirely wipe out. Haha, kinda funny when I think about it now!

Victoria said...

i've never cross-country skiied, but i'd like to give it a try...

Anonymous said...

You are brave! Sound fun anyway.

Me and Him said...

I love cross country skiing, although I have a problem going up hill, I get half way up, and then slide backwards a quarternof the way!