Friday, April 13, 2007

Dear Mr. Vonnegut,

Or may I call you, Kurt? This is just a quick little note being sent to you in heaven. I'm hoping they have internet up there.

You'll be missed. My husband was a huge fan. I'm embarrassed to say that I only read one of your books, Slaughterhouse 5, but I loved it. Couldn't stop laughing. I think the book was required reading for one of my high school English classes. I hope I don't offend when I say this, but I didn't like my high school English classes. Was never really good at writing. I hated reading. It drove my parents crazy. I did terribly on the verbal section of my SATs. I don't need to share that score with you right now, do I?

Don't worry about us down here. We'll probably be reading your books for centuries (if the world survives that long). What's it like to know that you've left behind a legacy?

I'm hoping my kids have your books as required reading in their high school English classes. I'm betting that'll excite my husband more than me. Please don't take that personally, but he read more of your books than I, so he can help them...in case they inherit my dislike for high school English classes.

Yours truly,
Emily

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is the first I am hearing of Vonnegut. It makes me sad.