Friday, May 18, 2007

In search of Monet.

About to hop on a train to head back home. We had a great few days in Paris though the weather was grey and/or: rainy, windy, cold, "spitting". Yesterday, Dawn and I grabbed a breakfast pastry across the street and then headed out to visit some museums. Our first stop was the Musée Marmottan Monet. In this beautiful house is a large collection of Monet's that were donated by his son, Michel. I've been carrying around a large bag as my purse while roaming the streets of Paris. At this museum, the security guard was adamant that I check in my bag. "It's too big", he says. I respond with, "But, it's the style right now." Like he cared. I wasn't going to leave my purse in the coat room...sorry, dude. He wouldn't give up and I wouldn't back down, but guess who won. Dawn was a bit surprised to see how stubborn I could be.

After lunch, we headed over to the Musée de l’Orangerie. Wow. Dad, I can see how this is your favorite museum in Paris. Sidenote: I have no patience for those that cut in lines. I've come across it one too many times while living over here and I'm tired of it. A woman cut in the line right in front of us and so I said something and she played dumb and I said something else and she played dumb again and then I just dropped it which was incredibly hard for me, but, hey, I'm in Paris. Then the smelliest man ever tried to cut his way into the line by pretending he was with a group of Asian tourists. The security guard caught him since he was the only one in the group that wasn't Asian. I don't understand it. How do these people live with themselves knowing that they're cutting in front of many other people??? Anyway, the museum was wonderful. It's like a smaller version of the D'Orsay. And I feel that Monet's Nymphéas should be on every tourist's list when visiting Paris.