Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hollywood is bigger than I thought.

Snow update: still none...but it's raining today so let's all cross our fingers, ok?

Darin and I like to watch a TV talk show called, "Le Grand Journal". It's on around the time we have dinner. There's a main host who's a grey-haired, spectacled gentleman and who I have a huge crush on (yes, Darin is well aware). I rank him up there with my David Letterman crush. He's accompanied by three other hosts who are there to ask the celebrities questions and also talk about the latest and greatest book, movie, thing one can find on the internet, music related topic, etc. Each night, there is usually three guests during the first half of the show and then three different guests during the second half of the show. For the most part, the guests are French speakers and people I usually don't know. From time to time, they'll have celebrities from other countries. I love it when they have English speakers on the show because it's a hoot watching them look at the hosts asking them a question in French and then there will be a delay as they're having the question translated to them through an earpiece. D and I like to find out who can actually speak French (Jodie Foster, Kristen Scott Thomas, Sigourney Weaver). Last night, during the second half of the show, they had Sigourney Weaver sitting next to Jamie Foxx sitting next to Jennifer Hudson. It looked as if Jamie Foxx was trying not to laugh as the questions were being translated to him.

It was fun to see all these American actors on this French show. The audience LOVED Jamie Foxx and at one point during the show, some (terrible) comedian asked J.F. to sing backup to Kanye West's song "Gold Digger" (which has been in my head for the past 24 hours now). The crowd was going wild and J.F. was eating it up though he did look confused from time to time.

I had no idea that American entertainment has such an impact in France. Most likely everywhere in the world. It's very hard for me to comprehend. It's such a huge part of our culture and it's odd how much it seeps into others.

P.S. We hopped over the border to Geneva this past weekend to see "Stranger than Fiction." Both of us really enjoyed it. It's not your typical Will F. movie, but I thought he was great. And Dustin Hoffman blows me away. And the tub of sweet popcorn was yummy too. ♥.

2 comments:

African Kelli said...

Hopped over to Geneva... this sounds like a fairy tale! So glad to have found your site.

Anonymous said...

I did not know Sigourney Weaver speaks french...