Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mon coiffeur.

Yesterday, was my second visit to my new hairstylist. I call him "the hairstylist for the English speakers in the greater Annecy area." A good friend recommended him and I really do like him and not because he speaks English, but because he listens to me when I tell him how I'd like my hair to be cut vs. the woman I used to see who always went above and beyond what I asked for.

While he was snipping away, he tells me that he's going on a 3-week vacation to Mexico. "Wow, how nice!", I say. "But, Mexico City can be dangerous so please be careful.", I add. Here I thought I was being a caring client, but instead I think I offended him. He responds to my comment by going off on how it can be dangerous wherever you go. I just nod, trying to stay on his good side as I desperately want to see him again. Then I tell him a true story about an innocent kidnapping that happened in Mexico City. The son of a woman my husband worked with briefly. And he replies that kidnappings happen for a reason, right? They don't just kidnap anyone. Um, okay. Let's change the subject to something else, like perhaps, guacamole. Who doesn't love guacamole? He's probably one of those few people who despises it...

8 comments:

ruthie said...

bonjour Emily!!
looks like "ton coiffeur" gets annoyed very easily. for god's sake you were just being nice and caring!! well at least he's good at what he does and you'rer happy with your hair. I know I'm a weirdo but I hate going to the hairdresser and never start conversations but instead bring a book and just read all the time. ughh
thanks for your welcome back message!
xox

Jennifer said...

Never piss off a good coiffeur! :)

Sounds like you were trying to be helpful but he didn't want to hear it. I probably would have said the same thing.

Me and Him said...

ah well, but he still did a great job on your hair right? So you couldn't have pissed him off too much.

I have been to Mexico City quite a few times. and I actually enjoyed it. It's a bit smoggy so my asthma plays up, but I love the pyramids at Teotihuacan, the floating gardens at Xochmilco, the National Museum of Anthopology, Chalputepec Park, the Palace of Belle Arts, the Folkloric Ballet, The Zocalo (the ceremony taking down the flag each afternoon, the cathedral, templo mayor, the Diego Rivera Murals etc).

We used taxis, buses, the subway and walking to get around. We were cautious about what we wore, what we carried etc. But safety wise we felt much the same as we did travelling in New York or LA.

Anyway....

African Kelli said...

Mexico City is one of the few cities in the world that scare the tar out of me, and I've lived in Mexico! You were wise to advise. :)
Now, let's see some pics of the hair.

Rebecca H. said...

He's right about kidnappings though, they do happen for a reason -- like to sell people into slavery, or forced prostitution. He sounds like a pooh head, let's find you a new hair dresser. Where shall I start looking? Craigslist?

Leah said...

Just be glad he didn't give you a mullet or a rat's tail to get revenge!

Jennifer said...

A wee bit snippy, my little buttercup?? Dude, chill. My hairstylist is great too, but he's be more likely to warn me of danger. Ah well.

ps. I showed him pics of my trip to Annecy and he wants to move there. If that happens I'll hook you guys up. :)

swakl said...

I can't believe how many people read your blog! I'm going to have to do some catching up, because I read this one and was very entertained! I think you should write a book. Email me the dates you will be home this fall- I'm soooo excited! I will clear my calendar for Bernardos :)
XOXO,
k