Friday, August 24, 2007

Eating in Lyon.

This past week, my sister and I took the train to Lyon for a day. We both love food and decided to treat ourselves to a nice Lyonnaise lunch at a bouchon. I had a difficult time translating the main dishes and tried calling my husband for help. Unfortunately, he was away from his phone and on lunch break. Rebecca and I could decipher a few of the words and ordered the dishes we thought we knew. Rebecca ordered a pot of boiled pieces of pig that came with some boiled potatoes and a few cornichons. I ordered Andouilette thinking it was Andouille sausage. Boy, was I mistaken. While eating it, I tried not to think about it possibly being tripe though deep down in my stomach, I knew. Later that day, I spoke to my husband and told him what I ate and then he set me straight. Some of my friends did as well, after telling them about our adventurous lunch in Lyon. "You ate what???", they'd ask me in surprise. A lot of other diners were eating the same dish. It must be really popular and good, I was thinking. The gratin dauphinois that accompanied the dish was out of this world and worth me spending the extra few Euros. I had a tiny piece of tripe a few months ago when dining out with friends (the same night I tried frog legs). It was okay, not terrible if you don't think about where it came from while chewing. I had absolutely no idea that Andouillette was pig colon. I'd say that this was a terribly disgusting learning experience.

6 comments:

Penny said...

Oh my! What an experience. Reminds me of when I went through a phase of not eating eggs and in Mexico, out of all the things on the menu, I managed to order myself a great big plate of eggs!

The gratin sounds marvellous!

Roam2Rome said...

Pig COLON!!! Awwww poor you!

Sorry, it was a little funny to read...

Yes, sometimes we learn the hard way :)

Jennifer said...

Mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Ah bien sur si tu dis que c'est du colon de cochon moi aussi ça ne me donne pas envie.. mais c'est tellement bon l'andouillette !! ;-P

Unknown said...

Hehe - I guess sometimes it's better to not know what you're eating! ;-)

Leah said...

I also had andouillette a few months back thinking it would be like the andouille sausage and boy was I wrong. I had about two bites of it and I really didn't like it, but I refused to ask to find out what it was. So, thanks for the informative post! At least I'm just learning it now where the andouillette is long gone and can't come up or out any way it's not supposed to!!