Monday, July 09, 2007

Visitors who want to clean my stovetop.

That's what my most recent visitor asked if she could do to help "earn her keep" while she's staying with us. Should I be embarrassed or just happy to have someone around to help with the "chores"?

My latest visitor's flight arrival information changed last minute so I had to pick her up at the Geneva airport...all...by...myself. This was my first time driving the manual...round trip. Obviously, we made it home in one piece. And now I know I can do it again. But when I got us back home, I told my husband that I've done enough driving for the month. I was exhausted. I've never been in traffic before and we hit some on our way home. How do I inch forward in this car? Do I stay in first? Second? I figured it out. And gave my friend the experience of watching me stall three times in a row. My specialty.

Since she's been here, we've enjoyed the gorgeous weather (that lasted all of Saturday) with a nice picnic near the lake. It was just the three of us and a million bugs. Yesterday, we watched the Annecy Triathlon. It got me pumped to do a mini-tri myself...someday. But, once I saw how much they had to run, I changed my mind.

6 comments:

Parisian Cowboy said...

Lucky you've got fine weather in the Alps.... I've read in Le Monde it has snowed in Tignes. Crazy.

Me and Him said...

When guests ask to help, I always put them in charge of breakfast and dinner for one day and this includes cleaning up. We seem to be out and about for lunch. One friend offered to paint our drywall in the basement! We didn't think twice - gave her the paint and a roller, and away she went. She did more in two days, while I was at work, than hubby and I had done in a year!

African Kelli said...

a. you should always celebrate the house guest who wants to help with the house work.
and
b. you could so rock a tri!
:)

Anonymous said...

I would happily have cleaned your entire apartment; it would have been worth it for what we saved in hotel costs. Somehow chores are easier to do at someone else's house, too.

ps. sorry about the bug mojo I called forth...I knew I shouldn't have said anything!

Rebecca H. said...

Um . . . yeah, I want Darin to pick me up from the airport, thanks. Mom and Dad will be pissed if you kill me. I'm pretty sure.

Unknown said...

Yep, I do that as well - make guests cook for me ;-) Though some don't even offer :-(