Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Emily's Oscar Picks.

I've realized that the reason I go see so many movies is because it helps me with my USA homesickness. It's quite a comforting feeling to be sitting in a theater, hearing and seeing the 20th Century Fox intro or other movie company's jingle and icon, and sitting through a movie with a tub of popcorn or bag of candy in my lap.

We don't get the Oscar show over here. I'll probably be searching for clips on YouTube the day after like I did after the Golden Globes. From what I've seen of the nominated movies and performers, here's who I hope will win for categories I care about:

Leading Actor: No idea. Didn't see any of the films as they haven't yet made it to Annecy.
Supporting Actor: I think Markie Mark found his perfect role in "The Departed", but the kid actor from "The Bad News Bears" made my mouth drop in "Little Children".
Leading Actress: Though I absolutely adore Meryl and thought she was great in "Prada", Helen Mirren was fabulous. I think my sister will disagree since she fell asleep during the movie.
Supporting Actress: Rinko from "Babel". Wow.
Director: I think it's about time for Mr. Scorcese to walk away with an award, BUT I'm crossing my fingers for Paul Greengrass.
Documentary: The only one I saw and the one that deserves the award in order to get as much press as possible so that every human on this planet will see it: "An Inconvenient Truth".
Best Picture: The movie overall was original and interesting. I vote for "Babel".

4 comments:

African Kelli said...

I have no excuse for not having seen most of those films! I really want to see Babel and Little Miss Sunshine. Perhaps this weekend...

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ksam said...

Hi, I'm another American expat in France and I just came across your blog so I thought I'd say hello. I too started out here with pretty much non-existant French and worked my way up.

PS. I just saw "Little Children" and think you should add another button saying "WTF??" - we were all a little dazed walking out of there, and no one could decide if they liked it or not.

Sara said...

i really liked Babel! We were also thinking we should see some of the movies that are up for Oscars, the French seem to love Blood Diamond.

(just removing my email address)